Blooming heather at Galderse Heide near Breda // The Netherlands
Font used in image is ‘Jane Austen’ by Pia Frauss
Someone told me that the heather was blooming at the ‘Galderse Heide’. Such a perfect Kodak moment. My parents used to take my brothers and me there for a Sunday afternoon walk. They believed that a weekly visit to the woods was extremely essential for our health, happiness and development. I believed it to be quite boring. But that was when I was just a young girl who disliked the long ‘inspirational’ walks to nowhere.
A gentle reminder to be mindful
Happiness is the ability to admire the beauty in ordinary things.
Because of the rains I had to wait for days before I could hop on my bike. It must had been more than 30 years that I had been there. It still did look just the same, only so much smaller than I remembered it to be. I was struck by how beautiful and vibrant the purple colour of the heather was. Being there and being able to appreciate the colours and the sunny weather made me happy.
Just a shame that I did not see this idyllic beauty when I was that young girl. Or maybe, after all these years I had simply forgotten about it, because my head is always too busy thinking about what I need to do, or going over what I should have done. Being there was a lovely reminder to be aware of the ability to admire the beauty in ordinary things.
Photo editing // creating a dramatic photo effect
I edited these photos with Adobe Photoshop to give them a dramatic look, using Layer Masks and adding adjustments layers like Photo Filter [Windows > Adjustments > Photo Filter], Color Balance and Channel Mixer, and a Layer Blend Mode > Overlay.
Photographs of the Galderse Heide near Breda // The Netherlands © Irèn Nooren // Memento Vivi
To be honest, although we used to go to the Galderse Heide often, I had a hard time finding the site. The Galderse Heide is located in the south of the Mastbos:
More photo-editing by Memento Vivi // Irèn Nooren
- Driving down the coast of Belgium We went for a drive to Nieuwpoort, a seaside resort at the Belgian coast. From our home town Breda, we drove via ‘traffic jam city’ Antwerp and Ghent. After a short stop in Nieuwpoort-Bad, we followed the coast north, back to Netherlands. A fine drive along dunes and through several lovely seaside resorts. Continue reading
- The miraculous changes of springtime in Princenhage When I leave my house, I found myself gratefully welcoming each sign of new life, the trees decorated with explosions of flowers, their leaves bursting into wonderful vivid greens, the activity of nest building birds, the dazzling show of colours and scents, the warm, refreshing air… Continue reading
- Trying to capture the autumn vibe in Princenhage // Breda Living in Princenhage, it is delightful to experience the changes of autumn in The Netherlands. Autumn comes in full swing. The metamorphosing trees dropping their leaves. The sun appearing lower in the sky and changing the light. The green fading into a golden brown, chestnut red, warm yellow. Continue reading
- Photo editing // Creating a nostalgic photo effect In May 2013, I had a cheerful photoshoot with Gabriëlla and Raymonde, who are passionate about horses. When I edited the photographs, I used the styles of the outfits to determine which photo effect I wanted to create. Continue reading
- Our road trip through the south-east of England We drove through Wiltshire, Hampshire and Sussex, explored prehistoric Avebury and Stonehenge, missed a freshly made crop circle, came across the most adorable little churches, walked at the green tops of the Seven sisters, and watched the waves roll up and then down the beach below the magnificent white cliffs of Birling Gap. Continue reading